Sunday, March 3, 2013

Mel's Simple Salsa


Let me just start off by telling you that I love, love, love Mexican food. There are so many ingredients in Mexican cooking that I am a big fan of, such as cilantro, avocado, garlic, onion, oregano, and even chocolate—used in mole sauces. Need I say more?
 
One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in the Capital Region is Pancho’s, located on Cresent Road in Clifton Park, NY. My favorite thing to eat at Pancho’s is their complimentary chips and salsa, both gluten-free. I usually eat so many chips with their amazing salsa that by the time my meal comes I am already full.

After many visits to Pancho’s over the years, I decided I would try to replicate their salsa that I love so much just so I could have it at home whenever I wanted to. I figured it couldn’t be that hard to figure out, so I began experimenting with the ingredients I thought were in their salsa. And the result? Some pretty darn good salsa, if, I do say so myself.

I tend to make my salsa a little on the spicy side by keeping in half the ribs and seeds of the jalapeño. However, if I’m having guests over or serving it to children, I usually make it mild by removing all ribs and seeds.

I have made this recipe with fresh tomatoes when in season, roasting them in the oven with olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper. And, in the winter I use canned tomatoes, and it  still comes out fantastic. I’ve tried most of the canned tomatoes on the market, and Hunt’s Fire Roasted are my favorite. They taste the freshest, and closest to the oven roasted tomatoes I use in the summer.

This salsa recipe is usually the star of any get-together I host, and I usually end up with at least one person asking for the recipe. Up until now, I have kept my salsa recipe a secret, and shared it with only family and close friends. However, I feel no need to keep the secret any longer, so I’m sharing my recipe here.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
INGREDIENTS:

Four 14.5 ounce cans of Hunt’s Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, drained and chopped*

1½ - 2 teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper

1 tablespoon sugar

1/3 red onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium jalapeño pepper, diced**

¼ cup fresh cilantro including stems, chopped

Juice of a lime

1 tablespoon Marukan Rice Vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
Drain tomatoes in a fine sieve, strainer, or colander, removing as much liquid from the tomatoes as possible.
In a food processor or blender, pulse tomatoes in batches until coarsely chopped, or chop by hand.

In a large mixing bowl, season the tomatoes with the sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
 
Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and vinegar; mix thoroughly.

Serve salsa at room temperature with Xochil gluten-free chips.

Will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week.

Makes 1 quart, serves 6.

*When tomatoes are in season, you can replace canned tomatoes with about 16-20 medium-sized plum tomatoes. Cut tomatoes in half and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, and season with the same amounts of sugar, salt, and pepper called for in the recipe. Roast in oven at 400° for about 45 minutes. Cool, and remove skins (add hint on how to do that, perhaps?).
Note: Since you roasted the tomatoes with the sugar, salt, and pepper, skip that step in the recipe.
**For mild salsa, remove all seeds and ribs from the jalapeño pepper; for medium salsa, remove half seeds and ribs; for hot salsa leave in all seeds and ribs. Be careful when handling hot peppers such as jalapeños. Do not rub your eyes (or take out your contacts!), and wash hands with soap and water immediately after handling the peppers, or wear disposable rubber gloves.

1 comment:

  1. This is YUMMY! I love to use salsa as a omelet filling, and can't wait to try this out with eggs as well as with chips!

    ReplyDelete