Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Raw Dark Chocolate Tart

It's the simple things in life that I seem to enjoy the most. For instance, I enjoy going for scenic bike rides, taking a nice stroll through the neighborhood with my husband, sitting at the beach on a breezy summer day smelling the ocean air, and also enjoying little tasty bites of goodness that are not only easy to make, but good for me too!
That's what you will get with this recipe I have to share with you today! It is my version of the Hail Merry® Merry's Miracle® Tart in Chocolate. If you have ever had the chance to taste one of these tarts, you will most likely agree, that it is truly a delectable delight.
I have to thank my dear friend Jillian for surprising me with one of these tarts sometime last year. However, when I went back to the Honest Weight Co-op where she had purchased it, so that I could get myself another one, I was astonished by what one of these treats actually cost. I don't remember the exact price now, but it was somewhere in the range of $4 to $5 per tart. If you buy them from the Hail Merry® website itself, you can buy a pack of 12 for $100! I know, it seems a little outrageous, right? Well, I don't know about you, but this girl is on a budget, and spending $4 or $5 on one of these tarts, although certainly delicious, would break my bank if I bought these on any regular basis. So, with only 5 simple ingredients listed on the package, I figured, how hard could it be to make these myself? I searched online, and found only a few recipes to get me started off in the right direction. And, with that little bit of help, my first attempt was a home run! I personally like to make them in a mini muffin pan so that they are in bite size portions, instead of the regular small tart pans that would be comparable to what you would find in the store. I found I ate the Hail Merry® tart Jillian gave me in quarters anyway, so this made it easier for me in the end.

This recipe has 5 basic ingredients. Coconut Oil, being the star ingredient here, along with almond flour/meal (which I make myself by just grinding down blanched slivered almonds in the food processor), cocoa powder, light agave nectar or organic maple syrup, and sea salt. 

Coconut oil has so many health benefits that I can't even list them all here for you. Some of the benefits of coconut oil include: it can help strengthen your immune system; it can help aid in digestion and alleviate some of the most common digestive issues; it can help keep your heart healthy; and it can also keep your skin and hair healthy too! If you want to read more on coconut oil and its health benefits, which I suggest you do, go to the Organic Facts website. So don't be afraid of coconut oil, give it a try, your body will thank you for it!

Coconut oil comes in solid form in a jar/tub, sort of like vegetable shortening does, and usually can be found along side other oils such as Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil. If you can't find it there, try looking in the health food section of your grocery store. Be forewarned, coconut oil is fairly pricey, especially if purchased in the chain grocery stores. I've seen jars go for more than $10. However, Trader Joe's carries it for a really good price, about $5 per jar. 

Coconut Oil will liquify once warmed, or in warm conditions. This is the main reason why I store my chocolate tarts in the refrigerator. If you don't do this, they will melt. Although, they still will taste great, they will become a little more messy to handle.


Raw Dark Chocolate Tart
Crust Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour/meal, finely ground
2 tablespoons cocoa powder 
2.5 tablespoons coconut oil, warmed to a liquid
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon agave (optional for a sweeter crust. I did not use agave here.)

With a fork in a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the almond flour/meal, cocoa powder, and sea salt. Then add in the coconut oil, and agave nectar until well combined. The mixture should be like a thick paste. 
Then, scoop out about a half of a tablespoon of the mixture and drop it into the mini muffin tray. You should be able to get about 15 or 16 out of this recipe. After you have filled as many of the tray openings as you can with the crust mixture, put the pan into the refrigerator to let the mixture set up a bit while you make the filling.

Chocolate Filling Ingredients:
3 tablespoons of coconut oil, warmed to a liquid
2 tablespoons of light agave nectar or organic maple syrup  
1/3 cup cocoa powder

In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients until smooth.
Now, take your muffin tray back out of the refrigerator (they should look a bit more solid then they did before). With your thumb, push down in the center of each one pushing the mixture to the sides making your crust, and a hole for you to pour your filling into.  
With a teaspoon, start pouring the filling into the tart crusts. Once you have filled each one, place the tray back into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set.
After the tarts have set, you can remove them carefully from the muffin pan with a fork or something thin like a frosting spatula, and place them in a single layer in an air tight container. Remember, keep these tarts stored in the refrigerator at all times since the coconut oil will melt at room temperature leaving you with a delicious, yet chocolatey mess.

Enjoy them one at a time, or a few at a time...either way, your body will thank you for this delicious, healthy treat that will only taste sinful!


Enjoy! 

Makes 16 tarts.
This recipe is gluten-free and vegan.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I am going to make the chocolate almond butter ones today in silicone muffin cups. Since they're not heated, I might try holistic raw honey to sweeten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so yummy and so much more affordable than the $4 hail merries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I love Hail Merry'S too, but they are just too expensive to buy all of the time.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the Hail Merry chocolate Miracle Tart!! Thank you so much for this recipes. I am TOTALLY going to make this tomorrow. I might even try to use my Chocolate Super Food Shake powder instead of cocoa... we'll see how that turns out ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you made and liked them. Did you try adding your food shake powder? How were the results?

      Delete
  4. Suggestions for recipe modification for the 'Mint' ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can just add peppermint extract to the filling. I would stark with 1 teaspoon to start, then add more if needed after tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just discovered the Hail Merry products. Oh they are sooo good. but I knew there had to be a way to make them myself. thank you. I am going to try to make the lemon ones. though the chocolate ones look out of this world Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any suggestion on a different flour? I cannot do nut/seed flours. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try finely shredded coconut or coconut flour.

      Delete
  8. I've done this too and prefer maple syrup as the sweetener, which I believe is also used in the original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these tarts! As a Member-Owner of Honest Weight Food Co-op, thank you for sharing our link! P.S. Hail Merry Miracle Tarts are on sale for $2.99 today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you think butter or ghee would do well in place of coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do might taste a bit different and you might have to cook it to an almost caramel consistency to get the ingredients to not seperate

      Delete
  11. These are also my favorite I used a tiny bit ofmaple syrup to make the tart shell stay together and actually heated the tart filling on low heat and it came out just like the tart texture

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to start making them right now. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! Just the recipe I was looking forđź’•

    ReplyDelete