Friday, July 12, 2013

Grandma's Cole Slaw

If there was one thing I could say to you all about myself, it would be how important my family is to me. I have very fond memories of us all coming together to share countless hours of love and laughter over the years. I have always enjoyed the holidays, family birthdays, random gatherings, and the weeks us kids would spend at Grandma's house in Brooklyn while Mom and Dad took their annual vacation alone together. Those weeks spent with Grandma each year were priceless. We always had a ball when we went to Grandma's house! She would feed us yummy meals, take us shopping in Brooklyn to the "Five and Ten," and let us play until our hearts were content. She spoiled us (almost) rotten. I remember these times we spent with Grandma as though they were yesterday, and these times always bring a smile to my face. 
Dinner at Grandma's and Grandpa's in the early 80's.
Pictured L to R: Peter (my brother), myself, Grandma, Chrissy (my sister),
Grandpa, Mom, and Uncle Ed (Dad must be taking the photo).
My Grandmother Helen's (my mother's mom) parents were originally from Warsaw, Poland, and eventually came over to the United States to start a new life, and family of their own. They settled somewhere in West Virginia, and that is where my grandmother grew up.  

Before my Grandmother started her own family with my Grandfather Edward, my grandparents moved to New York City, and purchased a brownstone in Brooklyn. They lived in Brooklyn for quite some time, but eventually moved to Upstate New Yorkafter my parents had moved us there when I was 10—to be closer to us.
Grandma and Grandpa, August 1963.


My Grandmother was a wonderful cook. She had a liking for some specific things too, like for instance, sour cherries. I don't know what it was about those "sour cherries" that she liked so much, I never cared for them myself as a kid, but each summer she would do all she could to find them. And, when she did find them, she was in heaven. She would make pies, jelly, you name it. You can see by the smile on her face in the photo below just how much joy these sour cherries brought her.
Grandma holding her prized jar of sour cherries, January 1985.
One recipe my Grandma always made that I loved was her Cole Slaw. It is so simple, yet so delicious. Since my Grandmother has passed quite a number of years ago, I feel that it is important for us to continue making her recipes, and for us to share them with our own families, and friends over the course of time. These special recipes are those that have bonded our family together. They are the recipes that have helped to create those special  memories I carry so close to my heart today. They are the recipes that make me remember all of those joyus gatherings throughout the years. And, it is these same recipes that will create new memories for years to come.

However, with that said, I do have to warn you that there are no exact measurements, as far as I know, for any of my grandmother's recipes. She just made her recipes on the fly, and that is what I did when I made her Cole Slaw last night. I did make this with her one time when she lived in Ballston Spa, so at least I was familiar with what I was doing, and have a list of ingredients written down. I remember her making it quite clear to me as to how certain things should be done along the way. My suggestion to you is, use the recipe here as a guide. You can add a little of this, or a little of that, and it will still be delicious.

Grandma's Cole Slaw
Ingredients:
1 small head of green cabbage (you can mix red and green for more color)
1-2 carrots, julienned or grated
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
Sea Salt (about 1 tablespoon, or so)
Bread and Butter Pickle Juice, about 1/4 cup, 
OR
Juice of 2-3 lemons and 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
Mayonnaise, about 1/3 cup
1-2 tablespoons, seeded dijon mustard (not originally in Grandma's recipe, but my own addition)

Directions:
Slice cabbage and green pepper thinly and place in a large bowl. Salt cabbage and green pepper generously, toss. Place something heavy on top of the cabbage mixture such as a pie plate or another bowl. Let sit for one hour. 
I used a smaller glass bowl with my carrots in it
to weigh down the cabbage mixture.

Julienne or grate carrot and set aside while the cabbage and pepper sit. 
This is a Julienne Peeler I purchased from Pampered Chef.
I use this tool almost every day. You can find these almost
anywhere from grocery stores to big box stores such as
Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.
Carrots using the Julienne Peeler.
After 1 hour, take fistfulls of the cabbage and pepper, and squeeze as much liquid out as you can. Place back into bowl. 
Mix the julienned carrot in with cabbage and pepper mixture. 
In a small bowl, mix the pickle juice (or lemon mixture), mayonnaise, and mustard until smooth. Add more of any of these three ingredients until you reach your desired taste and consistency. Pour over vegetable mixture and combine well.
Refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.

Makes 4 servings.
This recipe is gluten-free and can be made vegan by substituting the mayonnaise for a vegan-style variety.   

No comments:

Post a Comment