Saturday, October 5, 2013

Colorful, Crunchy Vegetable Salad

Once I had to gluten-free, salads were my lifeline. I always knew that vegetables were pretty safe, so if I went out to eat, that's usually what I would order, with no dressing, no croutons, no...well, you get the idea. 

After a while, a girl can get kind of bored with the same old salad, time and time again, right? This salad here is a little different, but delicious and super easy to make. I am very fond of crunchy foods, so this is the perfect salad for me. There is no lettuce, just small chopped, colorful, crunchy veggies with a little bit of rice vinegar and olive oil. 

The herb that makes this salad sing for me is the cilantro. If you are not a fan of cilantro, just use your favorite fresh herb, be creative. I'm sure fresh oregano, basil, or parsley would also be delicious!

Colorful, Crunchy Vegetable Salad
Ingredients:
2 large bell peppers (green, or multi-colored), chopped equal-sized squares
1 large radish, chopped in equal-sized cubes
1/3 head of broccoli, florets chopped small
1 baby seedless cucumber, chopped equal-sized cubes
1/4 cup baby carrots (already peeled), sliced about 1/8" thick
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved once, then halved again
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and crushed black pepper to taste
Directions:
Chop all vegetables listed through tomatoes about the same size, and combine in a medium sized mixing bowl. 
Add cilantro, vinegar and olive oil. 
Add salt and pepper to taste. 
Stir to combine and serve. 
Enjoy!

This recipe is gluten-free, nut-free, and vegan.

1 comment: