Monday, January 7, 2013

Welcome to Gluten Free•dom NY!

Thank you for joining me!
This is your source for Gluten Free (GF) products, recipes, restaurants, and resources for those living a GF lifestyle. Restaurants reviewed are mostly in the Upstate NY region, but also from other restaurants around the U.S. I've stumbled upon during my travels. You will also find out a little bit about me and why I've created this blog.
     Right now there is only one item per tab to get you started and to see where I'm going with this blog. I will be adding to this blog weekly, so make sure you SIGN UP to get updates by typing your email to the right where it says "Follow by Email." You will then get an email from "FeedBurner" asking you to confirm your subscription to this blog. That's where you hit confirm because you don't want to miss out on any of this. Please share this blog with your friends, family, co-workers, etc. and have them sign up by email as well. Even if they are not GF themselves, they may know others who are.
     I am very excited to begin this journey with you. Say good-bye to bland, tasteless GF food and hello to delicious, tasty bites of yummy goodness!
     I here then, share with you, my first recipe. Rice Pudding. YUM! I have also included it on my recipes page for easier reference in the future. Every recipe posted here on out will also be listed on the recipe page. Enjoy! 


Rice Pudding

Rice pudding is a dessert that is near and dear to my heart. It reminds me of my Grandfather "Poppy" as we called him growing up. Poppy came over to Ellis Island from Nicosia, Cyprus and was an accomplished Greek chef. 
     Growing up he used to come to visit my family, and while he was with us he always would cook up a storm. One of the things he made that I enjoyed most was his rice pudding. What made things even better was that because he was used to working in the restaurant all of his life, he only knew how to make very large quantities of things. I remember just eating bowlfuls after bowlfuls of rice pudding every day until it was gone. My mom would get annoyed by the astronomical amounts of rice pudding he would make, but I just kept smiling and eating.
    
Poppy passed away when I was 14 and no one seems to have the recipe, which is a shame. I found this Rice Pudding recipe online and made some adaptations to it according to my own taste. Although it's not his recipe, it still brings me comfort and joy while allowing me to remember some wonderful times with my Grandfather. I'm sure it would bring him joy knowing I'm still making one of our favorite dishes years later. 















RICE PUDDING RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup Aborio Rice (Risotto Rice) or short grain white rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups Milk divided (or milk substitute)*
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, split and scrape inside seeds
1 Tbs. butter, salted
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg beaten, at room temp.

DIRECTIONS:
Bring water to a boil in saucepan with salt, stir rice in and bring back up to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender. About 20-25 minutes. Make sure you do not undercook the rice, it must be completely tender.

In a clean saucepan, combine cooked rice, butter, vanilla extract, vanilla bean seeds, and 1 1/2 cups of milk. Cook over medium heat until it starts getting thick and creamy, then add sugar and mix thoroughly. Cook for about 15-20 minutes stirring frequently making sure you don't burn the pudding on the bottom. Once the pudding is fairly thick, take some of the hot pudding and add it to the beaten room temperature egg in a separate bowl to temper it mixing quickly for a few minutes.** Add the tempered egg to the saucepan with the remaining 1/2 cup of milk. Cook for about 5 more minutes or until desired thickness. Serve warm with cinnamon. Chill remaining pudding in fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week. 

*I've used Unsweetened Coconut milk (in the milk carton, not the can kind) and 2% milk, both with positive results.
**Make sure you do not skip tempering the egg. If you do, you will get a scrambled egg in your pudding. 

Recipe adapted from Allrecipes by Erica G. 

No comments:

Post a Comment